Sunday, January 3, 2010

And we're back...

Despite my best efforts to figure out how to make a living on Captiva Island, we are back home where our Christmas tree still stands, there's more laundry than I know what to do with, and it's 7 degrees.  Ugh.

A post to come on our wonderful vacation.

We flew home yesterday afternoon at 1.  One o'clock is also known as nap time.   The morning nap didn't happen because we were on our way to the airport and the afternoon nap, well, here's the situation.

Cannon is 16 months.  At 24 months we have to buy him a plane ticket of his own.  Who in their right mind would buy a plane ticket for someone who can fly for free? 

We are not novices to flying with Cannon.  We've flown more than a dozen times since he was born.  When he was tiny and we flew I worried about him eating enough or napping on the plane or sitting next to someone who didn't like babies.  I take back all of those worries and would welcome the days when he would just cuddle and sleep on the plane. 

For 2 hours and 42 minutes yesterday it was a workout.  He didn't cry or throw any tantrums.  However.  He constantly dove from parent to parent, headbutting, waving, screaming words, all the while making sly attempts to escape.  The concept of an inside voice is lost on him although he does mock our "shushing" efforts by making the noise and putting his finger to his lips.  He flirted with flight attendants, stuck his tongue out at other passengers, and left us bruised and beat.  So, the good news is that he didn't poop (I could write an entire post about trying to change a poopy diaper in an airplane bathroom, I've been on ONE plane that had a changing table, ONE), or cry the whole time, and he didn't have a cold so we weren't covered in snot from the various headbutts and nose dives.

We will savor the time while we don't have to buy him a ticket to fly places, however, I will welcome the extra room when the time comes.

The Best part?  It was less than 3 hours.

No comments: